Joan Glascock Skaggs Nursing Scholarship
To promote careers in the nursing profession by awarding scholarships to students pursing a degree as a Registered Nurse. This scholarship is potentially renewable for one additional consecutive year assuming the applicant continues to meet all criteria and submits an application for renewal.
The Joan Glascock Skaggs Nursing Scholarship Program was established in 1998 in honor of Joan Glascock Skaggs, who was a Registered Nurse. She held high ideals of the nursing profession which included strong basic nursing skills combined with personal care and concern for the patient. She was also an advocate of excellent education and fundamental training for nurses. This scholarship program has been established to perpetuate her memory, her nursing heritage, and to foster these ideals in future generations of Registered Nurses. The scholarship program is funded by private donations made in memory of Mrs. Skaggs.
The scholarship program is available to residents of the City of Hopewell and the following localities: Prince George, Colonial Heights, Petersburg, Fort Lee, Dinwiddie, Sussex, Surry, Chesterfield (South of Rt. 288 and East of Ironbridge Road), Charles City and Varina (Southeast Henrico, south of I-64). Student interns working for John Randolph Foundation are eligible to apply; however, foundation trustees, other foundation employees and their immediate families (parents, spouses, brothers, sisters, and anyone claimed as a dependent for tax purposes) are not eligible to apply.
Scholarship Applicants Must
- Be attending or express an interest in attending college as a full-time or part-time undergraduate (at least 6 hours per semester) or graduate student to become a Registered Nurse;
- Submit a completed “John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Application” ONLINE to include the required documents which must be uploaded with the application;
- Demonstrate financial need and;
- Must have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better
- (6 Points) Letters of Recommendation
- (10 Points)Financial Need
- (8 Points) Academics
- (6 Points) Extracurricular Activities
- (10 Points)Statement & Essay
The scholarship amount is $3,000 and will be paid directly to the school for current year tuition, fees, books purchased through the institution attended, and on-campus dormitory and meal plan expenses. The scholarship committee will review and evaluate all applications and announce awards each spring. The committee will also review and revise the scholarship policy and criteria as necessary. This scholarship is potentially renewable for one additional consecutive year assuming the applicant continues to meet all criteria and submits an application for renewal.
All required documents must be uploaded with the application. Any mailed or hand-delivered documents will not be accepted.
- Academic Transcript(s) (High School or College whichever applies.)
- SAT Scores or Relevant Test Scores (GRE's, ACT, MCATS, etc.) - Check to see if SAT Test Scores are listed on your official high school transcript. If so, no need to submit separately.
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Submit pages 1 & 2 of the SAR Report which provides the EFC# (Expected Family Contribution) and Student’s Information – SAR and EFC# is generated from the completed FAFSA Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Current)
Failure to submit the online application with all documents attached to the application by the deadline will disqualify an applicant from consideration for the Joan Glascock Skaggs Nursing Scholarship. The John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Committee reserves the right to interview applicants in the final stages of selection.
The decision of the scholarship committee in all matters regarding scholarships is final. Canvassing a scholarship benefactor, any John Randolph Foundation trustee or employee shall result in immediate disqualification. Scholarship awards are subject to the availability of funds, meeting the criteria as outlined in the guidelines of the individual scholarship program and contingent upon acceptance and enrollment in an approved program.
John Randolph Foundation respects the privacy of scholarship applicants. Any personal or financial information will be used for the purpose of assessing the scholarship application and will be made available solely to the Foundation's staff and scholarship selection committee. We make every effort to maintain your confidentiality.
John Randolph Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Organization