Coach Kevin Ferguson Scholarship Endowment
To promote continuing education by awarding scholarships for any course of study. However, priority may be given to a student who is pursuing a career in Physical Education, or has played on the Prince George High School Baseball Team, or will continue their baseball playing career at the college level. Applicants must demonstrate academic achievement, extra-curricular involvement, good citizenship, financial need and a commitment to the community through volunteer service. Institutions may include technical colleges, community colleges, and four-year colleges/universities.
Kevin Ferguson was an elementary physical education teacher in Prince George County for over 25 years. During that time, he coached junior varsity baseball and helped influence numerous young athletes to further both their academic careers as well as their baseball skills. His desire was for all young players to have the opportunity to better themselves with further educational opportunities. Kevin Ferguson worked extremely hard with fall camps, winter camps, and tournaments to help all of the players (middle school, junior varsity, and varsity) to avail themselves of many baseball experiences. Kevin Ferguson believed that baseball was a means to an education. This scholarship is proof.
This scholarship will be available for seniors or graduates of Prince George High School with priority given to a student who 1). will pursue a career in Physical Education, 2). has played on the Prince George High School Baseball Team, 3). or will continue their baseball playing career on the college level. Students may continue to reapply for this scholarship as they continue through their educational experience. However, receipt of this scholarship does not guarantee future awards.
Scholarship Applicants Must
- Attending or express an interest in attending college as a full-time or part-time undergraduate student (at least 6 hours per semester)
- Priority may be given to a student who is pursuing a career in Physical Education, or has played on the Prince George High School Baseball Team, or will continue their baseball playing career at the college level;
- Submit a completed “John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Application” ONLINE to include the required documents which must be uploaded with the application;
- High school applicant must have a cumulative G.P.A of 2.5 or higher;
- Student currently attending a two or four year institution of higher education must be in good standing (a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher is considered to be in good standing);
- Exhibit good citizenship (as evidenced by letters of recommendation from three sources);
- Demonstrate financial need and;
- Demonstrate commitment to the community through volunteer service
- (5 Points) Letters of Recommendation
- (10 Points)Financial Need
- (5 Points) Academics
- (5 Points) Community Service
- (5 Points) Statement & Essay
- (5 Points) Career in Physical Education
- (10 Points)Play Baseball at PGHS
- (10 Points)Play College Baseball
The scholarship amount is $1,500 and will be paid directly to the school for current year tuition, fees, books purchased through the institution attended, and on-campus dormitory and meal plan expenses. The scholarship committee will review and evaluate all applications and announce awards each spring. The committee will also review and revise the scholarship policy and criteria as necessary.
The application must be submitted online at johnrandolphfoundation.org.
The deadlines are as follows:
- The application must be completed online. All required documents must be attached to the online application. Any documents mailed or dropped off at the John Randolph Foundation will not be accepted and the application will be deemed incomplete.
- The deadline for the submission of the online application is 11:59 PM on January 15.
- If the above due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday, then the deadline becomes the next business day by 11:59 PM.
- Direct any questions to the foundation office at 458-2239.
All required documents must be uploaded with the application. Any mailed or hand-delivered documents will not be accepted.
- Academic Transcript(s) (High School or College whichever applies.)
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Submit pages 1 & 2 of the SAR Report which provides the EFC# (Expected Family Contribution) and Student’s Information – SAR and EFC# is generated from the completed FAFSA Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Current)
Failure to submit the online application with all documents attached to the application by the deadline will disqualify an applicant from consideration for the Coach Kevin Ferguson Scholarship Endowment. The John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Committee reserves the right to interview applicants in the final stages of selection.
The decision of the scholarship committee in all matters regarding scholarships is final. Canvassing a scholarship benefactor, any John Randolph Foundation trustee or employee shall result in immediate disqualification. Scholarship awards are subject to the availability of funds, meeting the criteria as outlined in the guidelines of the individual scholarship program and contingent upon acceptance and enrollment in an approved program.
John Randolph Foundation respects the privacy of scholarship applicants. Any personal or financial information will be used for the purpose of assessing the scholarship application and will be made available solely to the Foundation's staff and scholarship selection committee. We make every effort to maintain your confidentiality.
John Randolph Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Organization