HealthSouth Petersburg Scholarship
To promote nursing and therapy occupations (RN, PT, OT, SLP, Respiratory) by awarding scholarships for attendance at institutions of higher learning for students who wish to study nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, or respiratory therapy.
The HealthSouth Petersburg scholarship was established in July 2012.
HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Petersburg is a 64-bed, state-of-the-art, comprehensive acute medical rehabilitation hospital located in Petersburg, Virginia. The hospital provides comprehensive inpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy services for patients in Central Virginia, including the cities of Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, and counties of Prince George, Dinwiddie, and Chesterfield.
The primary purpose of the Fund shall be to provide scholarships for students who wish to study nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, or respiratory therapy.
Student interns working for John Randolph Foundation are eligible to apply; however, foundation trustees, other foundation employees and their immediate families (parents, spouses, brothers, sisters, and anyone claimed as a dependent for tax purposes) are not eligible to apply.
The scholarship program is available to residents of the cities of Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, and counties of Prince George, Dinwiddie, and Chesterfield.
Scholarship Applicants Must
- Express a need and desire for continued education by attending college as a full-time or part-time undergraduate (at least 6 hours per semester), with the intent to study nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or speech therapy; and
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Be a well-rounded individual with extracurricular activities, which will include at least one the following: volunteer work or community service, participation in athletic programs, or active paid employment;
- High School applicant must have a cumulative G.P.A of 3.0 or higher;
- Student currently attending a two or four year institution of higher education must be in good standing (a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher is considered to be in good standing);
- Meet the remaining criteria as outlined in the application guidelines; and
- Submit a completed “John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Application” ONLINE to include the required documents which must be uploaded with the application.
- (5 Points) Letters of Recommendation
- (15 Points)Financial Need
- (10 Points)Academics
- (10 Points)Extracurricular Activities
- (10 Points)Statement & Essay
The scholarship amount is $2,500 and will be paid directly to the school for current year tuition, fees, books purchased through the institution attended, and on-campus dormitory and meal plan expenses. The scholarship committee will review and evaluate all applications and announce awards each spring. The committee will also review and revise the scholarship policy and criteria as necessary.
The application must be submitted online at johnrandolphfoundation.org.
The deadlines are as follows:
- The application must be completed online. All required documents must be attached to the online application. Any documents mailed or dropped off at the John Randolph Foundation will not be accepted and the application will be deemed incomplete.
- The deadline for the submission of the online application is 4:00 PM on February 15.
- If the above due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday, then the deadline becomes the next business day by 4:00 PM.
- Direct any questions to the foundation office at 458-2239.
All required documents must be uploaded with the application. Any mailed or hand-delivered documents will not be accepted.
- Academic Transcript(s) (High School or College whichever applies.)
- SAT Scores or Relevant Test Scores (GRE's, ACT, MCATS, etc.) - Check to see if SAT Test Scores are listed on your official high school transcript. If so, no need to submit separately.
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Submit pages 1 & 2 of the SAR Report which provides the EFC# (Expected Family Contribution) and Student’s Information – SAR and EFC# is generated from the completed FAFSA Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Current)
Failure to submit the online application with all documents attached to the application by the deadline will disqualify an applicant from consideration for the HealthSouth Petersburg Scholarship. The John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Committee reserves the right to interview applicants in the final stages of selection.
The decision of the scholarship committee in all matters regarding scholarships is final. Canvassing a scholarship benefactor, any John Randolph Foundation trustee or employee shall result in immediate disqualification. Scholarship awards are subject to the availability of funds, meeting the criteria as outlined in the guidelines of the individual scholarship program and contingent upon acceptance and enrollment in an approved program.
John Randolph Foundation respects the privacy of scholarship applicants. Any personal or financial information will be used for the purpose of assessing the scholarship application and will be made available solely to the Foundation's staff and scholarship selection committee. We make every effort to maintain your confidentiality.
John Randolph Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Organization