Bobby Owen Memorial Scholarship Endowment
To promote careers as firefighters, police officers or emergency medical providers by awarding scholarships to students pursuing such careers.
The Bobby Owen Memorial Scholarship Endowment was established in 2003 in honor of Bobby Owen. Bobby, born and raised in Prince George County, had overcome many obstacles in his life when, at the age of thirty-eight, he died as the result of an automobile accident. Because of his willingness to help others in times of emergency, Bobby's family and friends established this scholarship to assist local students whom have volunteered as junior fire fighters, junior police officers or emergency medical providers or have a desire to pursue such endeavors in their lives.
The scholarship program is available to students residing in Prince George County, the Enon District of Chesterfield County, or Varina. Student interns working for John Randolph Foundation are eligible to apply; however, foundation trustees, other foundation employees and their immediate families (parents, spouses, brothers, sisters, and anyone claimed as a dependent for tax purposes) are not eligible to apply.
Scholarship Applicants Must
- Express an interest in pursuing a course of study or receiving appropriate training as a full-time or part-time firefighter, police officer or emergency medical provider,OR is currently volunteering or has volunteered as such in the past,OR is a dependent of a full-time or part-time firefighter, police officer or emergency medical provider. Students currently enrolled in such a program are also eligible to apply;
- Submit a completed “John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Application” ONLINE to include the required documents which must be uploaded with the application;
- Demonstrate financial need and;
- Must have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better.
- (5 Points) Letters of Recommendation
- (10 Points) Financial Need
- (5 Points) Academics
- (5 Points) Extracurricular Activities
- (15 Points) Statement & Essay
The scholarship amount is $2,000 and will be paid directly to the school for current year tuition, fees, books purchased through the institution attended, and on-campus dormitory and meal plan expenses. The scholarship committee will review and evaluate all applications and announce awards each spring. The committee will also review and revise the scholarship policy and criteria as necessary.
All required documents must be uploaded with the application. Any mailed or hand-delivered documents will not be accepted.
- Academic Transcript(s) (High School or College whichever applies.)
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Submit pages 1 & 2 of the SAR Report which provides the EFC# (Expected Family Contribution) and Student’s Information – SAR and EFC# is generated from the completed FAFSA Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Current)
Failure to submit the online application with all documents attached to the application by the deadline will disqualify an applicant from consideration for the Bobby Owen Memorial Scholarship Endowment. The John Randolph Foundation Scholarship Committee reserves the right to interview applicants in the final stages of selection.
The decision of the scholarship committee in all matters regarding scholarships is final. Canvassing a scholarship benefactor, any John Randolph Foundation trustee or employee shall result in immediate disqualification. Scholarship awards are subject to the availability of funds, meeting the criteria as outlined in the guidelines of the individual scholarship program and contingent upon acceptance and enrollment in an approved program.
John Randolph Foundation respects the privacy of scholarship applicants. Any personal or financial information will be used for the purpose of assessing the scholarship application and will be made available solely to the Foundation's staff and scholarship selection committee. We make every effort to maintain your confidentiality.
John Randolph Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Organization